CROI invites international investigators and clinicians in resource-limited settings and developing countries working in HIV research and clinical care who would be unable to participate in the Conference without financial support to apply for an International Investigator Scholarship.
- be fluent in English
- actively participate in HIV research or clinical care
- work in a resource-limited setting or developing country
- engage in international collaborations in which information learned at the Conference can be shared
- be the presenting author on an accepted abstract.
The awards are needs based and may include:
- up to US $750 (US/Canada) and US $1300 (international) for transportation to and from the Conference, utilizing the lowest fare for economy air or train travel
- waived conference registration fee
- access to discounted hotel rates during the Conference
Scholarships are awarded based on the quality of the application, letter of recommendation, and the level of financial need.
All scholarship awardees are required to attend the full conference, including the Program Committee Workshop for New Investigators and Trainees. At the close of the Conference, awardees must have completed the daily and overall conference evaluations.
If a scholarship recipient does not believe that she or he may be able to commit to attend the entire conference, she or he can choose 1 of the following 3 options:
- Adjust other conflicting commitments, attend the full conference, and maintain the scholarship.
- Forfeit the scholarship, pay the full current registration fee, present their work, and not be required to attend the full conference.
- Choose not to attend the conference and assign a coauthor to present the work at the conference.
How to Apply
Scholarship recipients must book travel through the CROI travel agency, Altour. To book your travel, please contact Altour at 888-669-8291 (US) or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any travel cost in excess of the scholarship award or travel not booked through the CROI travel agency is the responsibility of the scholarship recipient and must be paid at the time of booking. Unless otherwise specified in the scholarship award, scholarship recipients are responsible for the cost of transportation to and from the airport or train station, and any luggage fees,
Please provide Altour with the following information:
- Full name as it appears on your valid government ID, such as driver's license (flights within the United States) or full name as it appears on your valid passport (international flights)
- Date of birth
- Contact phone number(s)
- E-mail address
- Point of origin
- Travel dates
Discounted hotel rates are available to scholarship awardees and the rates displayed on the CROI housing website are the discounted rates. Unless otherwise specified in the scholarship award, International Investigator Scholarship awardees are responsible for the cost of their hotel and all attendees must book a hotel through the CROI registration and housing system.
Scholarship awardees will not be reimbursed. In lieu of reimbursement, scholarship awardees will be awarded a specified limit for their air, rail, or bus travel expenses. Any travel cost in excess of the scholarship award or travel not booked through the CROI travel agency is the responsibility of the scholarship awardee and must be paid at the time of booking. Unless otherwise specified in the scholarship award, scholarship awardees are responsible for the cost of their hotel.