CROI invites undergraduate students, graduate students, and postdoctoral fellows in the fields of HIV science and medicine to apply for a New Investigator Scholarship.
The awards are limited and highly selective, and may include:
- Up to US $750 (US/Canada) and US $1300 (international) for transportation to and from the conference, using the lowest fare for economy air or train travel
- Waived conference registration fee
- Access to discounted hotel rates during the conference
Scholarships are awarded based on the quality of the abstract, application, and letter of recommendation. New Investigator Scholarship awardees must be the presenting author of an accepted abstract.
All scholarship awardees are required to attend the full conference, including the Program Committee Workshop for New Investigators and Trainees. At the close of the conference, awardees must have completed the daily and overall conference evaluations.
If a scholarship awardees does not believe that she or he may be able to commit to attend the entire conference, she or he can choose 1 of the following 3 options:
- Adjust other conflicting commitments, attend the full conference, and maintain the scholarship
- Forfeit the scholarship, pay the full current registration fee, present their work, and not be required to attend the full conference
- Choose not to attend the conference and assign a coauthor to present the work at the conference
Please note: Effective as of CROI 2017, New Investigator Scholarshipawardees are limited to 3 awards total (including scholarships for past conferences).
How to Apply
New Investigator Scholarship applications should be submitted as part of the abstract submission process through the CROI Abstract Submission Portal. The scholarship application can be accessed by clicking the Create New Investigator Scholarship button in the My Submissions page. This page can be located by going to the Submission section in the Dashboard page, then click the Submissions link. Please submit no more than 1 application per CROI.
The New Investigator scholarship application must include a letter of recommendation from the applicant’s mentor. Please ask the recommender to provide the letter on institutional letterhead along with a signature. The letter must be saved as a PDF file and upload by the applicant during submission of the scholarship application.
The mentor’s recommendation letter should include:
- Mentor’s full name, degree, title, and current academic affiliation
- Confirmation that the person providing the letter is the mentor of the New Investigator Scholarship applicant
- How long has the mentor worked with the applicant
- The applicant’s academic background: current position and title, highest level of education (eg, doctoral, master’s, or bachelor’s degree), and year(s) and from what institution(s) the applicant received his or her degree(s). If the applicant is an undergraduate student, note the year and institution the applicant will receive his or her bachelor’s degree
- Confirm that the applicant meets the award requirements:
- The applicant is a postdoctoral fellow, graduate student, or undergraduate student
- The applicant is the presenting author of an abstract submitted to the conference. PLEASE NOTE: In order to be considered for a scholarship, an applicant must be the presenting author on an accepted abstract
- The applicant is planning to attend the entire conference
- Summarize the applicant’s qualifications and research prospects in a brief statement of recommendation
The application submission deadline is September 26, 2019, 5:00 PM Pacific Time. Scholarship award dispositions will be e-mailed on or about November 14, 2019.
Scholarship awardees must book travel through the CROI travel agency, Altour, by completing an IAS-USA Airfare Request form. For any questions, you may contact Altour at 888-669-8291 (US). Any travel cost in excess of the scholarship award or travel not booked through the CROI travel agency is the responsibility of the scholarship awardee and must be paid at the time of booking. Unless otherwise specified in the scholarship award, scholarship awardees are responsible for the cost of transportation to and from the airport or train station and for any luggage fees.
Discounted hotel rates are available to scholarship awardees and the rates displayed on the CROI housing website are the discounted rates. Unless otherwise specified in the scholarship award, New Investigator Scholarship awardees are responsible for the cost of their hotel and all attendees must book a hotel through the CROI Registration and Housing system.
Scholarship awardees will not be reimbursed for expenses. In lieu of reimbursement, scholarship awardees will be awarded a specified limit for their air, rail, or bus travel expenses. Any travel cost in excess of the scholarship award or travel not booked through the CROI travel agency is the responsibility of the scholarship awardee and must be paid at the time of booking. Unless otherwise specified in the scholarship award, scholarship awardees are responsible for the cost of their hotel.