THE GUIDELINES FOR AFFILIATED ACTIVITES HELD IN CONJUNCTION WITH CROI 2017 HAVE CHANGED. PRIOR YEAR APPROVAL OF AN AFFILIATED ACTIVITY DOES NOT ENSURE FUTURE APPROVAL. AFFILIATED ACTIVITY GUIDELINES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AND CLARIFICATION; CHECK THIS SITE REGULARLY FOR UPDATES.
PLEASE NOTE: Any activity, event, or meeting that is held beginning 3 days prior to, during, or 2 days following (ie, Friday, February 10 through Sunday, February 12, or after 6:00 PM on Thursday, February 16 to Saturday, February 18) the 2017 Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI) that is targeted toward or includes any REGISTRANTS of CROI is considered an Affiliated Activity. The deadline for Affiliated Activity applications is Friday, February 3, 2017.
The goal of CROI is to promote meaningful, high-level scientific interchange of ideas and debate in order to find better ways to prevent, treat, and cure HIV/AIDS. In keeping with this goal, organizations (ie, commercial companies and their agents, not-for-profit groups, and government agencies) that wish to hold meetings of any size or nature in any location during CROI that are targeted to CROI attendees must complete the Affiliated Activity application, be approved, and comply with the guidelines below.
To be approved, Affiliated Activities must:
- Support and be consistent with the scientific nature of CROI
- Be nonpromotional and noncommercial
- Not conflict with or detract from the official CROI scientific program
- Be approved in advance
- Be held within a hotel that is part of the CROI hotel block or request prior written approval for an alternate location
- CROI 2017 has extended the available Affiliated Activity times to include Monday, February 13, until 4:00 PM. All Affiliated Activities approved on this day cannot include new investigators, community educators, or scholarship awardees who are required to attend the Monday pre-CROI workshops
- CROI 2017 will offer Affiliated Activity times over lunch, and lunch times have been extended to 1.5 hours each day. It is imperative that the meetings do not start or end during the scientific sessions of CROI. Those who apply to hold an Affiliated Activity over lunch must ensure their participants have enough time to travel to and from the session rooms.
- Apart from the speaker-ready center and rehearsal areas, CROI 2017 will offer a small number of private rooms at the conference center and adjacent hotels to accommodate group speaker slide reviews. A projector, screen, and seating for groups of 5 to 10 people will be available. These rooms will be available on a first-come-first-served basis and do not require the completion of an Affiliated Activity form. For more information, please email CROIaa “at” iasusa.org.
An administrative fee is required for approved Affiliated Activities:
- $250 application fee will be assessed upon approval of activity for commercial companies
- $50 application fee will be assessed upon approval of activity for not-for-profit organizations and colleges and universities
In general, commercial company-supported activities are only permitted during the pre or post days of CROI 2017 (eg, Friday, February 10 to Monday, February 13 at 4:00 PM, or after 6:00 PM on Thursday, February 16 to Saturday, February 18). Commercial companies are defined as any profit entity (eg, including but not limited to pharmaceutical companies, medical communication firms, diagnostic companies, etc) or its agents (eg, including but not limited to public relations, publishing, or advertising firms, etc). If you have any questions at all about whether you are considered a commercial entity, please e-mail CROIaa "at" iasusa.org prior to submitting your Affiliated Activity application. No promotional advisory board meetings, fishbowls, or social or leisure events are allowed (see below). Acceptable activities are:
- Scientific Advisory Board Meetings
- Scientific Investigator Meetings
Company employee-only activities, such as company employee dinners or meetings that do not include any non-employee CROI registrants may be permitted during the non-blackout times on conference days, pending application review.
In general, activities sponsored and supported by not-for-profit or governmental organizations that are permitted during breakfast, lunch, and in the evenings on days of the scientific program (no such events can be held during the blackout times of CROI 2017) include:
- Scientific Board Meetings
- Committee Meetings
- Executive Meetings
- Specific Study (Investigator) Meetings
In general, the following are not permitted pre/post/during CROI:
- Scientific, educational, speaker-driven symposia or lectures not sponsored by CROI
- Commercial and noncommercial company hosted social events (eg, cocktail receptions, dinner cruises, sporting events, hosted, noncasual, organized dinner events of more than 10 people)
- Exhibits (by commercial and noncommercial companies)
- Distribution of any promotional material (eg, fliers, room drops)
- Commercial banners
The guidelines are meant to provide guidance for Affiliated Activity sponsors or hosts. If you have any questions at all about whether your activity would be an Affiliated Activity requiring approval, e-mail CROIaa "at" iasusa.org.
Meeting Blackout Times
Affiliated Activities may not be held during shaded, blackout times below.
Commercial company activities (ie, advisory board meetings or investigator meetings) are only permitted on the days before and after the official CROI 2017 educational program (eg, Friday, February 10 to Monday, February 13 at 4:00 PM, or after 6:00 PM on Thursday, February 16 to Saturday, February 18).
Commercial company, employee-only activities such as company employee dinners or meetings that do not include any non-employee CROI registrants are allowed during the non-blackout times of CROI 2017.
Monday, February 13:
- 4:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Tuesday, February 14:
- 8:00 AM – 12:15 PM
- 1:45 PM – 6:15 PM
Wednesday, February 15:
- 8:00 AM – 12:15 PM
- 1:45 PM – 6:15 PM
Thursday, February 16:
- 8:00 AM - 12:15 PM
- 1:45 PM – 6:15 PM
Times are subject to change.
Costs and Liabilities
Any direct costs associated with the Affiliated Activity (eg, rental fees, food, beverage, audiovisual equipment, labor, etc) are the responsibility of the Affiliated Activity sponsor. The sponsor is also liable for any injuries or accidents to people or property while conducting ancillary functions.
Use of the CROI Logo and Signs
The CROI logo or any part of the CROI logo may not be used on any non-CROI materials, such as websites, publications, signs, or fliers that did not originate from or were not developed by CROI, without the express written permission of CROI or the IAS–USA. In addition, no entity may imply either directly or indirectly that it is in any way associated with or endorsed by CROI, without the express written permission of CROI.
Signage for the Affiliated Activity is only permitted directly outside of the assigned meeting room. Directional signs, advertisements, and banners are not permitted in the hotel lobby or the convention center.
Approved Affiliated Activity Language
Once the Affiliated Activity has been approved, the language below is permissible.
This “meeting name” has been approved as an Affiliated Activity during CROI 2017. This meeting is not sponsored by, endorsed by, or supported by the IAS–USA, the CROI Foundation, or CROI 2017.
Changes to Approved Affiliated Activities
Any substantive changes to an Affiliated Activity application must be reported to CROI. Substantive changes include location, attendee, and major agenda changes. If you are unsure if a change is substantive, please e-mail the CROIaa "at" iasusa.org.
Consequences for Noncompliance
If an Affiliated Activity is found to have violated the Guidelines for Affiliated Activities (above), the sponsoring organization, the supporting organization, and the organizer of the meeting may be prohibited from holding an Affiliated Activity at future CROI conferences and may have their current registration revoked. Noncompliance may be subject to fines and damages, and could negatively impact the registration, status, and/or attendance of those attending an unapproved Affiliated Activity.
How to Apply
Please complete the Affiliated Activity application form, agree to the terms and conditions, and click the SUBMIT button to complete the application process. All applications must be received by Friday, February 3, 2017. Questions about Affiliated Activities may be addressed to CROIaa “at” iasusa.org.